Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Blue Jersey Army

Someone cue Eiffel 65. Why? 'Cause I'm blue.

Earlier this morning, MetsPolice ran a guest column by yours truly that detailed a conversation I had with a higher up in the Mets marketing department. The 20 minute call back at the end of November covered a wide range of topics on the various Mets uniform schemes.

In my conversation, I suggested to the exec that the Mets might want to explore the possibility of a blue alternate jersey to replace the black. I was met with resistance. Here's a recap of the exchange from my article. Casey was the name given to the exec to secure his/her identity:

Based on (Casey’s) comments about the black, essentially saying it sells well, but it doesn’t seem to be because of their overwhelming loyalty to the black color, I asked if (Casey) thought a blue alternate jersey may be a good avenue to explore? (Casey’s) response was a resounding no. (Casey) referenced the poor sales of the blue batting practice jersey. I immediately reminded (Casey) how low the visibility is for batting practice items probably suppresses sales—especially since the Mets have taken to wearing their snow whites during home spring training games during the last 3 seasons—and (Casey) agreed that it might be a factor, but insisted the market wasn’t there for a blue alternate top. I found that fairly surprising, but (Casey) said they had done extensive research on a blue alternate top and the interest just isn’t there.

Now, I don't buy this one bit. You can read more about my analysis of this exchange here. But in the meantime, let me explain to you just the lengths Mets fans are willing to go to get their hands on a look they think the Amazin's should be wearing.

The timeframe was August 2007. The Mets, seemingly on their way to their second straight division title, were in Washington to play the Nationals. My parents were at the final game of the series in RFK's final season and I was holding down the fort on the homefront. Using my late night alone time to troll the web for, what else, new stuff to buy, I came across this:



A sight of beauty! I couldn't believe my eyes! Was this...could this be...a glimpse to the future?! I did a quick eye inspection and saw the tagging was consistent with a replica. Also, no patch sleeve where the normal skyline patch would sit. And, of course, this was August. Definitely NOT unveiling season. But this royal blue Mets top was gorgeous and EXACTLY what I thought a blue Mets alternate should look like.



As you inspect it, notice the orange piping, which is consistently placed to the Mets other three piped looks. The orange color really makes the piping jump out, unlike the blue piping on the black alternates, which I always thought blended in a bit too much for my liking. The script...it's so...perfect. No dropshadow. No black. Two colors. Orange and white on pure, unadulterated blue. This HAD to be a sign of thing to come, right? The Mets had heard our pleas. This was just a preview or a leak of what was coming for the final season at Shea.



I immediately snatched a blank one up (they were selling customized ones with two color block numbers and one color names, but the lettering was generic and gave the jersey too much of a replica feel) thinking maybe one day I'd customize it.*

Of course we know this jersey never came to be. Unfortunately so, too. Because I really think this could be the best alternate look in all of baseball. Who knows how this fashion jersey actually sold. Part of me suspects the Mets' "extensive research" could have just been looking how sales for this and the batting practice jersey sold. But you can't deny the aesthetic orgasm. Check out how it looks paired with the blue hats.



Absolutely awesome. Could you imagine if they introduced the same hat, but with an orange brim? My mind can't handle the giddiness that would spark. Look, a lot of my collection is the Mets. I own every jersey: pinstripes, cream pinstripes, black home, black road, snow whites batting practice and so on and so forth. But that's because i have...well...OJD. It's time for the Mets to adopt this look. As far as alternates go, it's the best of anything they could conceive.

*As a matter of fact, someone beat me to the punch on this. Someone on the Creamer boards owns this jersey and took it to Stitches in Queens (the official stitcher of the Mets and Islanders). He put authentic orange and white customizing on the back and number on the usual front placement and chose Johan's 57. He also added an old school Mets patch (with interlocking NY) on the sleeve. If you're out there, sorry I don't remember your username, but make yourself known in the comments section!

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion the 86 Mets jersey was perfect and they didn't really need to do anything after that. Although I do like this year's pinstripes as well.

    Flushing Baseball Daily

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment, rob. love your work btw! FBD is a must read.

    although i'm not a huge fan of the racing stripes for a contemporary look, i do like them quite a bit. and they'll be the subject of a post this week. i do LOVE them as a throwback look. and the often overlooked detail of the blue cap WITHOUT the orange button.

    this year's cream coloreds are awesome, right? definitely could get used to those sans black dropshadow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that jersey. I'm with you on a blue jersey. I had something a bit different in mind.

    look at my picture with Coop of My Summer Family (that's me in the first picture in the blue jersey at
    http://mysummerfamily.blogspot.com/2010/04/saturday-in-park-summer-family-reunion.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. Looks pretty similar with the exception of the lack of piping. In fact, it looks similar to a batting practice jersey they had in the late '90s before they switched to the black BPs. Definitely dig it!

    ReplyDelete